Hi, y’all. Time for another WIP Wednesday. Today’s post is about a “Work in Publication.” Yesterday, my book Unknown Reasons got some attention over at Marcia’s blog. (If you didn’t read the review, click here to see the post.) I decided to share a little more about the background to this story.
When I began writing Unseen Motives, I planned for Brian Nichols to be a bad guy – a rebellious teenager who never changed his ways. I briefly introduced teenage Brian in the prologue. When I got to the first scene twenty years later, I couldn’t write him as I had planned. Or, I should say, he wouldn’t allow me to make him into a conniving snake in the grass.
So, I changed direction and added a couple of characters whose motives and actions would fit the plot. Brian became a respected citizen and construction company owner. But he wouldn’t let me stop there. He implored me to tell his story, and thus the sequel, Unknown Reasons, was born.
Yes, Brian is still a bit of a rebel. In addition to owning a business, he also plays drums with a local band. When he hooks up with Rachel Jackson, a respected physician who comes from one of the town’s wealthiest families, their chemistry is enough to set the town on fire. Except, of course, an arsonist beat them to it.
Since Brian is a drummer, the idea came to me to create a playlist on Spotify. Each song is either mentioned in the book or fits a particular scene. It’s a mix from various artists but all are in the classic rock category. I even picked a one-hit wonder that I hadn’t thought of in years.
In the first scene, Brian wears a Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt, so I picked a song from that album. He likes the Eagles, and I included several of their songs. Here’s the complete list:
- Breathe – Pink Floyd (From Dark Side of The Moon)
- Wicked Game – Chris Isaak
- You Make My Dreams – Hall and Oats
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
- Waiting For a Girl Like You – Foreigner
- I Was Made For Loving You – KISS
- 1900 Yesterday – Liz Damon
- Lotta Love – Nicolette Larson
- In The City – The Eagles (Live version from Hell Freezes Over)
- Bad Time – Grand Funk Railroad
- I Can’t Tell You Why – The Eagles
- Don’t Dream It’s Over – Crowded House
- One – Three Dog Night
- Life in The Fast Lane – The Eagles (Live version from Hell Freezes Over)
- Invisible Touch – Genesis (Live Version from The Way We Walk)
- Best of My Love – The Eagles
- That’s The Way I’ve Always Heard it Should Be – Carly Simon
And here’s a snippet from the book.
They neared the outskirts of Driscoll Lake when a popular classic rock song played from the car’s speakers. Rachel glanced over to see Brian softly singing the words.
“Good song,” she said.
“Yeah. With a subliminal message.”
“Maybe not so subliminal, but if you pay attention to the background vocals, you’ll know what I mean.”
“I know the words. The guy is afraid of having his heart broken.”
Brian was silent.
“Who broke your heart? Your ex-wife or someone else?”
Care to guess which song fits that scene?