What can I say about October? That glorious month of the year when the trees are full of vibrant color, the sounds of migrating birds fill the air, and the days are crisp and sunny. L. M. Montgomery’s words sum it up:
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” ~L.M. Montgomery in Anne of Green Gables
October, the eighth month in the ancient Roman calendar, gets its name from the Latin word octo, meaning eight. Let’s learn a bit more about this glorious time of year.
- The tourmaline and the opal are the October birthstones
- The October flower is the calendula
- Russia launched the first artificial satellite on October 4, 1957
- President Harry Truman delivered the first telecast address from the White House on October 5, 1947
- Christopher Columbus arrived in America on October 12, 1492
- October is National Cookie Month, National Pizza Month, Lupus Awareness Month, and National Seafood Month
- Other celebrations in October include Columbus Day (the second Monday of the Month) and Halloween on the 31st
- Nevada became the 36th state on October 31, 1864
- The October full moon is known as the Hunter’s Moon (some years the Harvest moon occurs in October). Other Native American names are the Blood Moon (not to be confused with an eclipse) or Sanguine Moon. The Hunter’s Moon is often accorded with special honor and serves as an important feast day in Western Europe and among many Native American tribes.
- Famous people born in October include Sting, actor Matt Damon, the late John Lennon and his son Sean (both born on October 9th), former NFL star Jerry Rice, actress Angela Lansbury, artist Pablo Picasso (25th), and author Lee Child (29th)
It isn’t hard to guess that October is one of my favorite months (along with November). Do you have a favorite month or season? Please share in the comments.
6 thoughts on “October ~Autumn’s Masterpiece”
One of my favourite months due to it being spring and my birthday month Joan.
October is one of my favorites also (although its fall in this part of the world). Hope your birthday month is a special one!
I love fall, and I love these posts on the months. I learn something each month I didn’t know. Like Michele, I do not crave all things pumpkin but do enjoy a good mug of cider and whatever colors the changing season allows us to have in the NW. Thanks, Joan, for sharing something feel good!
I’m with you on the pumpkin. It’s not my favorite. A mug of hot chocolate is more my speed. I love autumn – it’s my favorite time of the year.
We celebrate a few birthdays in our family in October. Fall is my favorite season, although, I do not crave all things pumpkin. I love the changing leaves and apple cider.
Pumpkin has never been my favorite. Sounds like October is special for you with all the birthdays.