Kids have started a new school year, summer vacations have ended, and autumn begins later in the month. Leaves have started to turn, birds begin to migrate, and change is in the air. It must be September. Time to learn more about this ninth month of the year.
September gets its name from the Latin word septem, which means seven. September was the seventh month in the ancient Roman calendar.
“By all these lovely tokens September days are here, with summer’s best of weather and autumn’s best of cheer.” ~Helen Hunt Jackson
Here are some fun and interesting facts about September:
- The birthstone is the sapphire
- The September flower is the morning glory
- On September 3, 1783 the American Revolutionary War ended when Great Britain signed the Treaty of Paris
- The first permanent European-established settlement in the US was founded in Saint Augustine Florida on September 6, 1565
- Elias Howe patented the sewing machine on September 10, 1846
- September is National Chicken Month, National Rice Month, National Potato Month, and National All-American Breakfast Month.
- In the United States we celebrate Labor Day on the first Monday of the month (this year on September 7) and Patriot Day on September 11. Other celebrations include the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashana (13th-15th), and Yom Kippur (23rd).
- Only one state entered the union during the month of September; California in 1850.
- The September full moon is known as the Harvest Moon. It is the full moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox, so on some years the Harvest Moon is in October. It happens in September this year and coincides with a lunar eclipse. Native Americans also called the September moon The Full Corn Moon as it was the time for harvesting corn.
- Famous people born in September include Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, former Dallas Cowboy and NFL player Charlie Waters, (Confession: I still salivate when I see a photo of him.) novelist Agatha Christie, former baseball player Gaylord Perry, and singers Bruce Springsteen and Olivia Newton-John.
September is one of my favorite months. I love the changing of the season, the lengthening afternoon shadows, the cooler days, and of course that beautiful Harvest Moon. Maybe this year, I’ll capture that “perfect” photo. What do you find special about September? Please share in the comments.
6 thoughts on “September ~ The Golden Month”
For me it is Spring, I adore Spring and Autumn Joan. Finally the days are warmer and I can hear the hum of the bees, the happy twitter of birds and see baby ducks on the pond. Whats not to like about September.
Your September is like our March. It is a time when the earth comes alive after the cold of winter. I love the contrast between the two hemispheres.
I love September!
Me too, La!
I enjoy reading the facts. September brings change in my part of the planet. I love watching the leaves change, and the smell of Autumn.
Michele, there is a definite smell of autumn and it’s my favorite season. I had a conference call today at work and one of the participants was from Minnesota. She said they were already having chilly nights and the leaves have started to change. It will take a little longer for us, but we usually have some nice colors in early November.