Kids have started a new school year, summer vacations have ended, and autumn begins later in the month. Leaves have started to turn, birds begin to migrate, and change is in the air. It must be September. Time to learn more about this ninth month of the year.
September gets its name from the Latin word septem, which means seven. September was the seventh month in the ancient Roman calendar.
“By all these lovely tokens September days are here, with summer’s best of weather and autumn’s best of cheer.” ~Helen Hunt Jackson
Here are some fun and interesting facts about September:
- The birthstone is the sapphire
- The September flower is the morning glory
- On September 3, 1783 the American Revolutionary War ended when Great Britain signed the Treaty of Paris
- The first permanent European-established settlement in the US was founded in Saint Augustine Florida on September 6, 1565
- Elias Howe patented the sewing machine on September 10, 1846
- September is National Chicken Month, National Rice Month, National Potato Month, and National All-American Breakfast Month.
- In the United States we celebrate Labor Day on the first Monday of the month (this year on September 7) and Patriot Day on September 11. Other celebrations include the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashana (13th-15th), and Yom Kippur (23rd).
- Only one state entered the union during the month of September; California in 1850.
- The September full moon is known as the Harvest Moon. It is the full moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox, so on some years the Harvest Moon is in October. It happens in September this year and coincides with a lunar eclipse. Native Americans also called the September moon The Full Corn Moon as it was the time for harvesting corn.
- Famous people born in September include Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, former Dallas Cowboy and NFL player Charlie Waters, (Confession: I still salivate when I see a photo of him.) novelist Agatha Christie, former baseball player Gaylord Perry, and singers Bruce Springsteen and Olivia Newton-John.
September is one of my favorite months. I love the changing of the season, the lengthening afternoon shadows, the cooler days, and of course that beautiful Harvest Moon. Maybe this year, I’ll capture that “perfect” photo. What do you find special about September? Please share in the comments.