Whether you’re basking in the sun, or hibernating inside an air-conditioned house, the eighth month of the year is often the hottest in the northern hemisphere. Although autumn doesn’t arrive until the third week of September, the daylight hours have grown shorter. Let’s learn a bit more about the month of August.
August gets its name from the Roman Emperor, Caesar Augustus, nephew of Julius Caesar. Not only did the Roman Senate name a month after Augustus, they decided the month should have the same number of days as July.
“August brings the sheaves of corn, then the harvest home is borne.” ~Sara Coleridge
- The August birthstones are the Peridot and Sardonyx
- Gladiolus and poppies are the August flowers
- Christopher Columbus set sail on his first voyage across the Atlantic on August 3, 1492
- Thomas Edison invented the phonograph on August 12, 1877
- August is National Family Fun Month, National Golf Month, National Picnic Month, National Peach Month, and American Indian Heritage Month
- Some other noted celebrations and recognitions in August are Friendship Day (2nd), National Root Beer Float Day (6th), Book Lovers Day (9th), Black Cat Appreciation Day (17th) and We Love Memoirs Day (31st)
- The annual Perseid meteor shower occurs during the month of August
- Three states joined the Union during the month of August—Missouri in 1821, Colorado in 1876, and Hawaii became our fiftieth state in 1959 having been annexed by the United States in August 1898.
- Native Americans referred to the August full moon as the Full Sturgeon Moon due to the easy catches of these large fish in the Great Lakes region. Another name is the Full Red Moon because the moon appears reddish as it rises through sultry hazes so common during the month.
- Famous people born in August include novelist Herman Melville, astronaut Neal Armstrong, former NBA star Magic Johnson, actors Robert DeNiro and Sean Connery, and Major League Baseball player Elvis Andrus of the Texas Rangers.
Do you like the hot days of summer or prefer the coming days of autumn? Any special August memories? Please share in the comments.