The month of May has arrived and with it comes a flurry of activities, events, and celebrations. Across the country many students will graduate from both high school and college and begin a new season of their lives. Let’s learn a bit more about this fifth month of the year.
“The world’s favorite season is the spring. All things seem possible in May.” ~Edwin Way Teale
May is named for Maia, the goddess of growth and plants. It is a month in which many of the spring flowers begin to bloom. Although here in Texas, many of the wildflowers such and the bluebonnet, Indian paintbrush, and clover have already passed their peak, others bloom in May. The coreopsis and blue cornflowers are two that come to mind.
Here are a few more things about the month of May:
- The May birthstone is the emerald which represents success or love.
- The flower is the Lily of the Valley
- American Indians called the May full moon as the Wildflower Moon due to the abundance of wildflowers in most of the states. Other names are the Full Corn Planting Moon and the Milk Moon.
- The Kentucky Derby takes place on the first Saturday of May. Other celebrations include May Day (1st), Cinco de Mayo (5th) Mother’s Day (10th), and Memorial Day (25th)
- Unusual celebrations include Hug your Cat Day (3rd), Lost Sock Memorial Day (9th), and Pack Rat Day (17th) (Some sources call it Rat Pack Day).
- As always, there are days set aside for food: Beverage Day (6th) Eat What You Want Day (11th) Chocolate Chip Day and Pizza Party Day (15th) and Blueberry Cheesecake Day (26th).
- May birthdays include actors George Clooney and Clint Eastwood. Singers Billy Joel, Bono, and Stevie Wonder. NFL star Cam Newton and former Dallas Cowboy and all time NFL rushing leader Emmitt Smith. Also, the late John Wayne and late President John F. Kennedy.
- Several historical events occurred during the month of May. Explorers Lewis and Clark began their expedition on May 14, 1804. Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly solo flight across the Atlantic on May 20, 1932. The first permanent English settlement was established on May 24, 1607 in Jamestown, Virginia.
- Four states joined the union during the month of May. South Carolina in 1788, Rhode Island in 1790, Wisconsin in 1848, and Minnesota in 1858.
Do you have any special memories of the month of May? Any family traditions? Please share in the comments.