I often say that once April arrives, the remainder of the year passes too fast. Turn around, and it’s December. Yes, it’s already the fourth month of the year. The days grow longer and temperatures get warmer (in the northern hemisphere). Many outdoor activities begin in April. Here are some other things about April that you may or may not know.
There is no glory in star or blossom till looked upon by a loving eye; There is no fragrance in April breezes till breathed with joy as they wander by. ~William C. Bryant
A few things about April:
- Easter often occurs during the month of April, depending upon when the Paschal full moon occurs.
- The April birthstone is the diamond.
- The flower is typically the Sweet Pea or Daisy
- Native Americans referred to the April full moon as the Full Pink Moon, so called for the herb moss pink or wild ground phlox—one of the earliest flowers of spring. Other names include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon and the Egg Moon.
- April is Global Child Nutrition Month, Humor Month, and Mathematics awareness month.
- Some celebrations or observances in April include April Fool’s Day, Arbor Day, Earth Day, and, in the US, the dreaded Income Tax Day.
- The American Revolutionary War began on April 19, 1755. The US also declared war on Germany in WWI on April 6, 1917.
- Famous people born in April include painter Leonardo da Vinci, US President Thomas Jefferson, Queen Elizabeth II, Actors Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Nicholson, Basketball player Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and singer Marvin Gaye.
- Two states joined the union in April—Maryland in 1788 and Louisiana in 1812.
April is one of my favorite months. Winter has passed and the hot days of summer have yet to begin. We often hear the first Whip-poor-will in April, which always signals cold weather has passed.
Do you have any special memories or favorite things about April? Please share in the comments.
10 thoughts on “April ~ When Showers Bring Forth Flowers”
April is when my daughter was born (Apr 19), then her 1st son was born Apr 18
We had a similar situation in our family. One of my aunts was born on July 14, her daughter was also born on July 19. Then, her son’s daughter was born July 13.
Sounds like April is a special month for you!
Love these posts about monthly facts. It’s always fun to find a series that you and your readers can enjoy. BTW, beautiful image above.
I’m glad you enjoy them, Sherrey. I like history and trivia, so I thought these would be fun to write. I took the photo a couple of days ago. The dogwoods have been especially beautiful this year – probably because we’ve had a lot of rain.
Joan, I enjoy your monthly fun facts. April is a busy month for my family, there are several birthdays, and of course, Easter.
March is our busy month of birthdays (and Easter sometimes comes in late March). I’m glad you’re enjoying this series – I have had fun doing it – and learned some things.
Enjoy all that blossoms in your spring after the rain Joan. At least I can admire it from afar wrapped in warm clothes and sitting by my fire. Until it comes around again.
Kath, I always marvel at our opposite seasons. Seems like a short time ago you were sweltering when we were sitting by our fires. Still hope to visit your country some day.
I guess we’re channeling each other again.. April Showers, and all.
RDJ and I share a birthday, so there’s that. And why was I not included in the “famous people” birthdays? Hmm… (JK)
I love your monthly posts. This was another good one.
I admit – I thought about you when selecting the famous birthdays. 🙂 How cool to share one with RDJ – I think I share mine with Liza Minnelli or such.
And yes, our minds are thinking alike. Again!